PCB boss Butt stresses tainted trio not yet charged by British police

Lahore, Sept 9 (ANI): Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman, Ijaz Butt has said that the UK police had not pressed charges against any of the three cricketers alleged to have indulged in match fixing.

“The police interrogated our players for nine hours last Friday, but there have been no charges levelled against them,” the Daily Times quoted him as saying.

He said that the team manager, Yawar Saeed informed him that “investigations are under way and police has yet to charge any player,”

Talking about the probe into the spot fixing scandal, Ijaz said, “We are very concerned over the allegations and since we too have zero tolerance against corruption, we also want this to finish soon. We are really worried about the matter and if any player is found responsible then we will take strict action.”

When asked about earlier cases of match-fixing involving Pakistani players, he said that he did not want to go back into the past.

Pakistani Test skipper Salman Butt and fast bowlers Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Asif have been implicated in spot-fixing allegations, but have maintained innocence despite evidence against them. The ICC has banned the three Pakistani players until the matter is resolved. (ANI)

Australia issues dengue warning to its CWG contingent

New Delhi, Sep 9 (ANI): Australia”s High Commissioner to India Peter Varghese has said that Canberra has issued an advisory to its 2010 Commonwealth Games squad over the dengue outbreak in India.

Varghese, however, said he is hopeful that the upcoming event will be a success despite the travel advisories issued to the contingent from Down Under.

“We have been keeping our team and others advised about preparations for the games and developments. We have also provided advice through our travel advisories about the seasonal outbreak of dengue fever but these are not things that are going to stop the games,” said Varghese.

Those staying close to the 2010 Games venues have criticized the authorities for spending millions of rupees on preparations, but not doing anything to get rid of the filth around the stadia.

“By now all the preparation work must have been over but it is so filthy over here, mosquitoes are breeding here, there is scare of outbreak of diseases. What are we going to show foreigners? Is it this filth?” asked Gajendra Singh, a local.

Last week, Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad reviewed the dengue situation with Delhi Health Minister Kiran Walia.

So far, 1,081 dengue cases have been reported in the capital.

Last month, Azad blamed large-scale construction for the upcoming Commonwealth Games responsible for the huge number of dengue cases in the national capital.

“Mosquitoes breeding at construction sites is one of the reasons behind the menace. The presence of dengue and water is strongly related,” said Azad, while asking the people to remain alert and take preventive measures.

“Delhi is dug up because of the Games, and it is also raining very heavily in the city after a long time. Since water remains accumulated in many places, it becomes a breeding ground for mosquitoes,” he added.

Health officials have said dengue cases this year are the highest in the last six years.

The Delhi Government has also swung into action to contain the rise in dengue cases by issuing a host of advisories and announcing several services, while urging Delhiites not to panic.

Dengue is transmitted by the bite of an Aedes mosquito infected with any one of the four-dengue viruses.

The 2010 Commonwealth Games, which kicks off on October 3, is India”s biggest sporting event since the 1982 Asian Games.

India is expecting about two million tourists in New Delhi for the Games, as well as about 10,000 athletes from 71 teams representing 54 Commonwealth member states. (ANI)

Pak fast bowler Irfan seeks PCB’s permission to join Kolkata Knight Riders

Lahore, Sep 9(ANI): Pakistan fast bowler Muhammad Irfan has sought the permission from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to finalize a 75,000 dollar deal with Indian Premier League (IPL) franchisee Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).

KKR has signed a short-term contract with the 6’10 giant fast bowler on team’s bowling coach Wasim Akram’s recommendation.

“All the formalities of the deal with the KKR have been finalized, but now I require a NOC from the board to finalize the deal with KKR,” The Daily Times quoted Irfan, as saying.

“I am very happy to have such a huge opportunity and playing in the IPL is without doubt a great opportunity to do something big on the international stage,” he added.

The 27-year-old’s signing comes after 11 Pakistani players were snubbed for last season’s tournament despite being put up for auction.

“I don’t know about the past, but I am following a proper procedure to secure the deal,” Irfan said.

He is also hopeful that other Pakistan players will be seen in action in the fourth edition of the mega event. (ANI)

Pak fast bowler Irfan seeks PCB’s permission to join Kolkata Knight Riders

Lahore, Sep 9(ANI): Pakistan fast bowler Muhammad Irfan has sought the permission from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to finalize a 75,000 dollar deal with Indian Premier League (IPL) franchisee Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).

KKR has signed a short-term contract with the 6’10 giant fast bowler on team’s bowling coach Wasim Akram’s recommendation.

“All the formalities of the deal with the KKR have been finalized, but now I require a NOC from the board to finalize the deal with KKR,” The Daily Times quoted Irfan, as saying.

“I am very happy to have such a huge opportunity and playing in the IPL is without doubt a great opportunity to do something big on the international stage,” he added.

The 27-year-old’s signing comes after 11 Pakistani players were snubbed for last season’s tournament despite being put up for auction.

“I don’t know about the past, but I am following a proper procedure to secure the deal,” Irfan said.

He is also hopeful that other Pakistan players will be seen in action in the fourth edition of the mega event. (ANI)

Rooney made to do ‘walk of shame by Capello

London, Sept.7 (ANI): Disgraced Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney was forced to do a long “walk of shame” yesterday as he boarded the England team jet.

According to The Sun, coach-cum-manager Fabio Capello ordered Rooney to walk ahead of his teammates and climb the aircraft stairs on his own in front of TV camera crews from around the world.

Insiders said it was part of the manager’s “treatment” for players whose behaviour slipped below Fabio’s expected standards.

It meant Rooney, still wearing his wedding ring, walked up the plane’s steps alone as fellow England players watched from the tarmac at Luton Airport.

One onlooker said: “He looked isolated and miserable. He took big strides as if he couldn’t wait to get inside. It looked like a real walk of shame. I guess he deserves it. But I’m not sure how good it was for building team spirit.”

Fabio was next to board the flight to Basel, Switzerland.

An insider said: “The message appears to be: ‘You’ve brought all this media attention on us, so you can take it hardest.” (ANI)

ICC toothless in handling corruption in cricket, says Latif

Karachi, Sep 7(ANI): Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif has questioned the International Cricket Council (ICC)’s ability of handling corruption in the game, and said that tougher laws were needed to counter the menace.

“The ICC is not making tougher laws and that’s why their role is questionable,” The Age quoted Latif, as saying.

“I also doubt the sincerity of cricket boards and the ICC to put a lid on this wrongdoing,” he added.

Latif said that the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) set up by the governing body had also failed to serve the purpose.

“These ex-policemen (ACSU officials) may have been very good in their field, but cricket is a different ball game altogether and only a cricketer can see an irregularity during a match,” Latif said.

“(The ACSU) does not have the right to conduct raids or arrest people, what they only do is to ask players to avoid suspicious people. All in all, the unit is toothless, as their recourses are limited,” he added.

He also called for new rules in one-day and Twenty20 cricket to minimize fixing.

“In my opinion, power plays in limited-over matches encourage spot-fixing, so there is a need to change the laws. I proposed changes in the rules some years back, but the ICC did not pay attention to them,” he added. (ANI)

Australia”s Stosur welcomes prime-time promotion at US Open

New York, Sept.7 (ANI): Australian tennis star Samantha Stosur has welcomed her promotion to top billing for her marquee US Open quarter-final with defending champion Kim Clijsters.

Stosur and Clijsters have relegated American superstar Venus Williams from the prime-time TV slot and will slug it out in the feature night match at Arthur Ashe Stadium on Tuesday.

The Age quoted Australia”s world No.6 Stosur as saying that she felt justice had been served after she”d been involved in the latest-finishing women”s singles match in US Open history on Sunday, an epic three-set triumph over Elena Dementieva.

“Me or Elena, whoever won that one, was in a pretty bad position to play Kim, who played first on Sunday,” Stosur told AAP after a light hitting session on Monday.

“I think it”s only fair that at least I was allowed as much as rest as possible after my match to try and back up,” she added.

After saving four match points against Dementieva to become the first Australian woman to make the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows since Wendy Turnbull 26 years ago, Stosur said she”d be free-rolling against Clijsters.

The Belgian is once again title favourite after extending her winning streak in New York to 18 matches with an emphatic 6-2 6-1 fourth-round defeat of Ana Ivanovic.

“Obviously she”s a great player and I”ve played a great tournament so far and now I get the second seed,” Stosur said.

“I”m just going to go out and enjoy it and it”s matches like last night that are really fun to play and you just want to keep playing matches like that. Against Kim, if we can play our best tennis, I”m sure it will be a good one,” she added. (ANI)

Gerrard backs pal Rooney to get over his off-field problems

London, Sept.7 (ANI): England skipper Steven Gerrard has come out in support of striker Wayne Rooney after having emerged from his own nightmare last year.

The Liverpool midfielder, who leads England against Switzerland tonight, said: “Incredibly enough, I played some of my best football when I was going through my court case.

According to The Sun, in those six months, Gerrard lost just three of the 24 games he played for Liverpool and England, winning 17 of them. He scored 13 times in that spell as Liverpool finished second in the Premier League.

He is now hoping that adversity will work for Rooney as well.

The key, he said, was for Rooney to separate his on-field and off-field lives.

“If you have an issue off the pitch, you”re in a situation where you have to park it. And then get on with the rest of your life. But this is where football sometimes can be a great release. Once the game starts, you”re focused on what happens on the pitch — not what”s going on off it,” Gerrard said.

He added: “I”m sure that”s what will happen with Wayne as soon as the referee blows his whistle.”

Of Rooney” state of mind, Gerrard said: “Well, I don”t think he”s going to need a slap on the back from me — especially after the way he played against Bulgaria. Round the hotel and in training, he seems fine, the same as normal. Then again, only time will tell.” (ANI)

ICC orders Butt, Akmal to hand over mobile records during Asia Cup

London, Sep 7(ANI): The International Cricket Council (ICC) has reportedly ordered Pakistan captain Salman Butt and wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal to hand over their mobile telephone records for investigation into possible spot-fixing during the Asia Cup in June.

Butt and Akmal were contacted by the ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) after suspicions arose during the tournament in Sri Lanka.

The demand came in a letter, dated August 21, which was sent to the two players before details of the News of the World expose surrounding the ‘no-ball’ scandal in the Lord’s Test against England.

The ACU expect the full cooperation of both players, but have yet to receive a response from the Pakistan camp, The Daily Mail reports.

The news will dismay the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and players, who had made it clear that they were not prepared to play Pakistan in the ODI series if the players accused of corruption were still in the opposing line-up.

Butt has been suspended over allegation of involvement in the Lord’s Test ‘spot-fixing’ scandal, but Akmal is part of the team scheduled to play the second Twenty20 match in Cardiff tonight. (ANI)

Rooney’s wife tells him: ‘I don”t need you anymore’

London, Sep 07 (ANI): Love-rat Wayne Rooney’s romp with hooker has bought his marriage to an end as wife Coleen has said she does not need him anymore.

Devastated Coleen, 24, fled to her parents after tearful Rooney called her and confessed to sleeping with vice girl Jenny Thompson while she was pregnant with their baby son Kai.

The desperate soccer star, 24, begged Coleen for talks, but she refused to do so.

“I don”t want to see you. Just go and play football,” the Sun quoted her as saying.

“I don”t need you anymore,” she added. (ANI)

1 2 3 4 5 18